IELTS Writing Task 2 Questions
The second writing task in the IELTS exam is the same for the academic and general versions of the test.
In this task you need to write an essay of at least 250 words. As with task 1, there is no upper limit on how many words you can write.
Task 2 may ask you to:
- State how far you agree with a proposition and back up your opinion;
- Discuss two opposing sides of an argument and give your opinion;
- Explain the causes of a problem and suggest possible solutions.
The following hints should help to answer any of these essay types:
- Your introduction needs to engage with the topic in the first sentence. A simple way to do this is start by answering the question “why do we care about this issue (now)?”
- You should include your opinion in the introduction and rephrase it in the conclusion. These should be consistent and not contradicted in the body.
- Each body paragraph should have a clear topic statement or main idea. This should then be developed through explanation and examples.